Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Weekly Journal ~week 5~

WEEKLY JOURNAL
WEEK 5 (8th August – 12th August  2011)


1.0       Masalah / Isu

This is my fifth week of practicum in SK Kulai. The issue that I would like to highlight is the importance of English language in Malaysia. As we all know that English language is the number one language used in the world. Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin launched an initiative of the Education Ministry to improve the quality of English Language teaching. He said that teachers should take the initiative to develop their professionalism. It shows that Malaysian must also know to speak and communicate well in this language for better rapport with other countries in the world. Some of my pupils have tendency to speak in English but they were afraid and shy.

2.0       Analisis (Apakah punca masalah)

Unfortunately, I found out that not all of us are interested to learn English language may be because there is no force for them to use the language in daily life. It is because English language is not their mother tongue. Through my observation in my 4 Ceria class, I would say that most of them are not really focus and show great desire to learn English. I am not sure whether my techniques of teaching is the cause of this phenomenon happened in the class.  I have use variety of technique in conducting my lesson. I could say that the problem may arise because of they lack of confidence to speak and talk in English.




3.0       Cadangan untuk memperbaiki / Alternatif

There are several ways that could be done to overcome the problem:
a) I need to make my pupils love English language's learning process. I should encourage them to be interested in what I am teaching them and they want to improve their skills in English because love is the key to success.
b) Before I begin my lessons, I should begin by a motivated warm-up that could help my pupils to be more familiar with new words, grammar rules or writing skills.
c) I will try to vary my teaching's tips, to ensure my English class is not a boring place where ideas are repeated, otherwise; it should be an environment of innovation and creation. For example, I could use colourful illustration to engage their attention towards the lesson.
d) Most of my pupils enjoy doing group activity, so I need to encourage them to participate in the group activity. They could share their ideas and they will be able to at least speak a few of English words among their group members.

4.0       Tempoh masa

Planning an activity for pupils of different abilities and dealing with pupils’ attitudes and weaknesses are not an easy task. However, I am sure that all these problems can be overcome if I continue to work hard to conduct activities during my lesson. I plan to change a bit of my teaching method in order to attract the pupils to focus and enjoy in my class starting this week.


5.0       Tindakan susulan

I always ask help from the senior teachers in the school to vary my activities in the class. I have addressed my problems to my mentor. She advised me to try new method of teaching and be sterner to the pupils. May be some activities on reading the story, speak the unfamiliar words and role-play by using dialogue could help them to add their vocabulary and use their vocabulary in their daily life. Some of them could say “Teacher, may I help you?” and “Teacher, I want o answer” and it shows improvement in their effort because before this they like to speak those words in Bahasa Melayu

6.0       Kesimpulan/ Harapan

As for me, I really hope that my pupils will change their attitude and be more focus during my English class. I will encourage them to at least speak 2 words in English in the class. I want everyone to excel in English and at the end of the day they can speak, write and read English language in correct and proper way.



No comments:

Post a Comment