Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Weekly Journal ~week 2~

WEEKLY JOURNAL
WEEK 2 (18th – 22nd July 2011)


1.0       Isu yang difokuskan

This week, I am having problem in dealing with the time management when conducting activities during the teaching and learning session in class. The problem was related to pupils’ involvement in the activities that was planned in class. The pupils were cooperative and putting a lot of efforts in carrying out the activities that were assigned to them. However, the class has been a little too noisy when everybody wanted to answer a question at the same time especially during the brainstorming activity. Furthermore, pupils were unable to keep up with the time allotted to complete the activities that have been given; particularly in group work activities. This matter has interrupted the flow of teaching and learning session. As a person who is new in teaching English, I knew that it is not easy to plan an activity for the pupils. When I plan a lesson, I always assume that pupils will be able to do the activities that I have planned within the time allocated. But when the lesson was conducted, I found that my assumption was wrong as pupils required more time to do the activity. They were not able to complete their work on time.

2.0       Analisis (apakah punca masalah)

This problem exists because I was being very soft to pupils in terms of keeping up with the time in doing the activities in the teaching and learning session. In addition, I felt that I have failed to give clear and accurate instructions prior to the activities. This has caused pupils to have difficulties in carrying out the activities because they did not get a clear picture of what they were supposed to do.      


3.0       Cadangan untuk memperbaiki / Alternatif

There are several ways that could be done to overcome the problem:
(a) I should be firm with students when it comes to work within the time limits. I should always remind pupils about keeping up with the time allocated.
(b) I should give simple and clear instructions to students before asking them to carry out certain task during the teaching and learning session so that they fully understand what are they required to do.
 (c) I need to seek help and support from my lecturer, my mentor, the senior teachers or those who are more experienced, to discuss on the best way to overcome my difficulties related to time management and how to handle peer disagreements in the class.
(d) I need to inculcate good cooperation and teamwork among pupils.
(e) I will continue to do more research from the reference books and the internet to find the best activities that can be applied in my lessons so that pupils will not get bored in learning English.

4.0       Tempoh masa

Planning an activity for pupils of different abilities and dealing with pupils’ attitudes and weaknesses are not an easy task. However, I am sure that all these problems can be overcome if I continue to work hard to improve my lessons. To be honest, I need to give myself some time to enhance and develop my teaching skills as planning good lessons require a lot of trials and errors. I will try to overcome my problems as soon as possible; that is prior to week three of practicum. The problems can also interrupt my duty in this school if I will not overcome it.

5.0       Tindakan susulan

As mentioned earlier, it takes time to be a great teacher. I will continue to do more research from the reference books and the internet to find the best activities that can be applied in my lessons so that pupils will not get bored in learning English. I will also continue to seek help and support from my lecturer, my mentor, the senior teachers or those who are more experienced, to discuss on the best way to overcome my difficulties related to time management and conduct suitable exercises for my pupils according to their level.

6.0       Kesimpulan/ Harapan

“Education is a painful, continual and difficult work to be done in kindness, by watching, by warning, by praise, but above all -- by example”.  This quote really means to me because to be a good teacher, I must good in planning my lesson and also my time to ensure my pupils will get what they need to learn on that day.




References

Englishraven (2011). Lesson Planning and Reflective Teaching, Retrived July 20, 2011.

Jennifer Wagaman (2008). Organization and Time Management for Teacher. Retrieved

Personal PSU (2011). Gagne’s Events of Instruction, Retrived July 22, 2011.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/scs15/idweb/lessonplanning.htm


Snowman, Jack; McCown, Rick; & Biehler, Robert. (2009). Psychology Applied to
Teaching. Boston, New York: Houghton Mifflin Company.

No comments:

Post a Comment