Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Weekly Journal ~week 1~

WEEKLY JOURNAL
WEEK 1 (11th – 15th July 2011)


1.0       Isu yang difokuskan

This is my first week of practicum in Sekolah Kebangsaan Kulai. My lecturer, Madam Nor Ashikin H’ng Abdullah, had kindly come by for a pre-observation on Thursday this week to meet up with me and partner Hasnah Selamat to discuss important matters that need to be done during the practicum weeks. I cannot stop feeling a strong apprehension in my mind whenever I come to think about my duty during practicum and the observation that will be done by my lecturer and my mentor. Will I be able to meet their expectations? Will I be able to carry out what I have planned successfully? How will the students react to my teaching and learning activity? I was so worried and keep thinking whether or not I could balance my time to carry out my practicum duty and also to give an unconditional attention to my family. Have a good rest could no longer fit into my tight schedule. Honestly, it is hard. The pressure is intensifying.


2.0       Analisis (apakah punca masalah)

The problem may arise due to the lack of mental and physical preparation in facing all the obstacles to meet my vision of becoming a great teacher with exceptional personality. According to Vgotsky’s theory, teachers should prepare and provide educational content which will be the stepping stones for learners to move beyond their current level of understanding, to a higher level of understanding. Basically, the elementary cognitive functions are transformed into higher mental functions through interactions with more knowledgeable adults. With little experience that I have, I knew that I need to make a lot of effort to uncover the myriad of knowledge in this wide world. I could learn from the dedicated and enthusiastic lecturers of IPGKTI, or from the senior English teachers in SK Kulai who are always ready to lend their hands, or just from anybody or any sources that could assist me in strengthening my journey towards building my career as a teacher.


3.0       Cadangan untuk memperbaiki / Alternatif

There are several ways that could be done to overcome the problem mentioned earlier:
(a) I must make a proper mental and physical preparation by reading a lot of materials related to motivation and pedagogical approaches in education.
(b) I need to seek help and support from my lecturer, my mentor, the senior teachers or those who are more experienced, to discuss on the best way to overcome my problems and anxieties. I need to have faith in myself.
(c) I have to learn to cope with the new atmosphere by taking it positively to ensure that I can manage my core business successfully. I have to be strong and persevere despite of having time constraint due to the lack of opportunity to focus on my practicum duty.
(d) I need to re-schedule my time management in order to carry out my responsibilities efficiently. Jennifer Wagaman in her article ―Organization and Time Management for Teachers stated that organizing our work and prioritizing our time will help us catch up, keep up and even get ahead in our busy life as a teacher. If I cannot do my work during the day, then I will do it in the middle of the night. Even if I will not get enough sleep and rest. I will put aside my pleasure time as to give more room for my practicum.
(e) I need to read a lot of materials on conducting lessons in my class such as class management and class control.

4.0       Tempoh masa

I will try to overcome my problems as soon as possible; that is prior to week two of practicum. I realize that if I am unable to manage the major problems that I am facing this week, it could jeopardize my capability of performing my practicum duty and delivering the teaching and learning activity effectively. The problems can also interrupt other crucial tasks that I need to carry out in school.

5.0       Tindakan susulan

I will need the assistance from my mentor and colleagues to assess the effectiveness and success in handling the problems. I will also need to do some self-assessment to solve these matters. I will think of ways to deal with my problems from time to time. I will always seek guidance and help from my lecturer and mentor who have been wonderful assistance so far. Mentoring will support the pedagogical development of new teachers (Feiman-Nemser, Carver, Schwille, and Yusko, 1999). I will also ask for advice and support from other teachers, and not forgetting my beloved family; to make sure that my problems can be overcame.

6.0       Kesimpulan/ Harapan

Every cloud has a silver lining. It means that every difficult situation has a bright side. This idiom is closely referred to my current situation. Even though my problems make me somewhat worried, it is actually a gift from God. This situation has really put my capability and potential to the test. I just want to take them positively and I will carry on all difficulties with God’s help. I will grab every opportunity that permits me to give more focus on the teaching and learning activity. After all, that is the core business of a teacher. According to Joshua J. Marine, Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.”
References

Feiman-Nemser, Schwille, S., Carver, C. & Yusko, B. (1999).Beyond support:Taking 
new teachers seriously as learners. In M. Scherer (Ed.). A better beginning: Supporting mentoring new teachers. (pp. 3-12). Alexandria, VA:  ASCD.

Jennifer Wagaman (2008). Organization and Time Management for Teacher. Retrieved

Thinkexist (2011). Joshua J. Marine quotes. Retrieved July 16, 2011.

Snowman, Jack; McCown, Rick; & Biehler, Robert. (2009). Psychology Applied to
Teaching. Boston, New York: Houghton Mifflin Company.


No comments:

Post a Comment