Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Weekly Journal ~week 4~

WEEKLY JOURNAL
WEEK 4 (1st – 5th August 2011)


1.0       Isu yang difokuskan
It was already week four but I still have trouble with planning the right activities for the teaching and learning sessions. This problem occurs before every lesson took place. I am facing a lot of difficulties to come out with a suitable activity for the level of my pupils and I am spending inordinate time to think and plan the activity. For that reason, I am feeling at a loss of thinking, searching and finding ideas of varying the activities for my teaching and learning sessions that will suit my pupils’ level. This problem really troubles me as I am worried that pupils will be bored stiff with the techniques and methods that I normally apply in class.


2.0       Analisis (apakah punca masalah)
This problem continues to exist because I am thinking too much about my practicum duty. I have bought many books and do a lot of research from the internet to find teaching ideas for my lesson. I know that the teaching and learning session is trial and error lesson for me to see whether or not an idea is suitable for my pupils. However, I am still scared to put the ideas to the test because I always think that the activities suggested are not suitable for my pupils’ level and that they will not enjoy the activities. This problem really upsets me and I am feeling guilty towards my pupils as I think that I do not deliver my lesson well. At times, I can see their unenthusiastic face and subtle reluctance to get involved in the activity that has been planned. I can also feel their boredom during my lesson.

3.0       Cadangan untuk memperbaiki / Alternatif
There are several ways that could be done to overcome the problem mentioned earlier:
(a) I need to make an in-depth thinking while preparing for the activity to be implemented in my teaching and learning session. I have to imagine the real situation and ask myself, “How will the students respond towards this activity?”
(b) I need to seek help and support from my supervisor, my mentor, the senior teachers or those who are more experienced, to discuss on the best way to overcome my difficulties.
(c) I have to make a lot of research by referring to plenty of reference books and the internet before coming up with an activity.

4.0       Tempoh masa
I will try to overcome my problems soonest possible; that is prior to week five of practicum. I realize that if I am unable to manage these problems immediately, the situation might fail the achievement of the learning objectives in the teaching and learning activity that is planned in the daily lesson plan. I will need the assistance from my mentor and colleagues to assess the effectiveness and success of my handling the problems. I will also need to do some self- assessment to solve these matters.

5.0       Tindakan susulan
I need to be resourceful in planning activities which will suit the curriculum specifications and the learning objectives within the time stipulated. I will always seek guidance and help from my supervisor, my mentor and other colleagues who have been wonderful assistance so far. I need to be bold in trying new ideas and be optimist by giving my students chances to get involved in the new activities.

6.0       Kesimpulan/ Harapan
I realize that I am new to teaching English. I always have to remember that trial and error goes a long way towards perfecting my teaching style. So, I need to ask questions when I am struggling. Alan Alda, an American actor, director and screenwriter in the 70’s and 80’s, quotes: “Laugh at yourself, but don't ever aim your doubt at yourself. Be bold. When you embark for strange places, don't leave any of yourself safely on shore. Have the nerve to go into unexplored territory.”

1 comment:

  1. Hi . Im fadhli from uitm lendu . Im one of ex-student sk kulai . Im really enjoy study in there and really miss to be there . I already read your blog and aspiring me to be a teacher . I really wanna be a teacher . And my target is to teach sk kulai . I miss all teacher in there . Mostly cikgu siti zaleha . My favourite teacher . That all i wanna say . Sorry for my english . Im still study and want improve my english. Thank you

    ReplyDelete